Learn the essentials of modern calligraphy and develop your own style
A guided journey to writing beautiful script.
Calligraphy Essentials is your easy way to learn calligraphy
Build a solid foundation for your calligraphy skills with the essential concepts for constructing letterforms. Learning the fundamentals for writing pointed-pen calligraphy is the core of this course. You will be exploring these basic principles first, then learning how to add variations and your own style, and you will compose your own alphabet in the end.
Throughout the course, you will have the chance to get personal feedback from me for six weeks. This will help you to make progress faster and with a gentle learning curve.
Who is this course for?
- Have you always wanted to create your own cards, envelopes or invitations with beautiful modern calligraphy?
- Would you like to discover your own creativity through the art of beautiful writing with a hands-on, easy approach?
- Are you a designer or illustrator wanting to expand your toolset?
This course has been designed for people with no calligraphy experience and for those who want to learn the basics of writing modern calligraphy, and to develop their own style. You don’t need any experience with calligraphy whatsoever to take this course, but if you already are familiar with a few calligraphic principles, you’re more than welcome to join! The course is also great for graphic designers or illustrators looking to expand their skills.
Get a guide along the way
In this course you will not only get lessons and worksheets to work through at your own pace, but you will have the opportunity to get personal feedback by me and have a very gentle learning curve. I want to ensure that you’re getting the guidance and feedback you’ll need right from the beginning to master the basic skills of modern calligraphy. I share my approach to modern calligraphy and give you the techniques to understand the principles you need to develop your very own calligraphy style.
Each lesson is building on the previous, and you will get specific assignments to hone your skills. My feedback will ensure you’ll make progress in the right direction.
I created this course so that you can learn how to practice deliberately, so that you don’t have to guess which direction to go. You will get better results faster this way. You’ll get fundamental knowledge about the art of calligraphy, and the skills to create beautiful artwork and find a calming spot in your life at the same time.
How the course will work
- This is a self-paced course with 24 video lessons in 6 modules with in-depth instructions on the fundamental techniques needed to learn pointed-pen calligraphy
- There are two different packages for the course: either completely self-directed (Basic package) or with 6 weeks of personal feedback from me (Complete package)
- You’ll get PDF worksheets for each lesson available and assignments, plus a detailed workbook to accompany the videos.
- The workbook and worksheets will be accessible indefinitely.
You will get access to my knowledge around calligraphy – I have been working as a creative professional focused on letters (calligraphy, lettering and type design) for over eight years now.
In the video lessons I’ll cover topics such as the basic principles of the pointed pen, tool recommendations, workspace setup, how you can establish an effective practice routine and deal with perfectionism. I’ll demonstrate how to write each letter of the alphabet, lower and upper case, in a modern style. At the end, you’ll have the tools and knowledge to develop your own style, and you will compose your own calligraphy alphabet.
I reserve time for every student to give feedback about their progress – there will be assignments you can send in, and that I will review. Personal feedback is only included in the complete package.
You’ll get all the worksheets and resources to print out, and you’ll also have the possibility to get the accompanying workbook containing all text lessons & worksheets that you can simply print out and follow along with the videos. The workbook is great because you have everything you need in one place and all the worksheets and texts in the order the course will progress. Just print it out at the beginning and you’re ready to go. It’s essentially the course in text-form, so you can practice with the workbook even without the videos. The workbook is already included in the complete package, and you can upgrade the basic package to include the workbook.
Work at your own pace
- The course is designed so you can easily complete it in 4-6 weeks, you’ll have plenty of time to complete the assignments.
- You will still have access to the text and video resources after that, so you can complete or revisit the course at your own pace. The personal feedback is limited to the first six weeks after you sign up.
- With 15-30 minutes of practice each day or every other day (2-4 hours per week) you’ll be able to make considerable progress.
1. Introduction to basic terms and tools, how to setup your workspace (8 lessons)
2. Learning basic strokes, warm-up drills, and construct lower case letters (4 lessons)
3. Construction of capital letters and alphabet practice (3 lessons)
4. Forming words and flourish exercises (5 lessons)
5. Adding variety to your script and composing your own alphabet (3 lessons)
6. Final thoughts (1 lesson)
Student Work from the course
CompleteAll the videos, all the worksheets, the workbook PLUS personal feedback
The Complete package has everything:
- All the videos
- All the worksheets
- A full 45-page workbook to print out and follow along the videos
- Personal feedback for 6 weeks
- Enrollment is closed now. Please get notified through my email list when it opens again. Sign up below.
BasicAll the videos, all the worksheets
The Basic package has:
- All the videos
- The worksheets
- The option to purchase the workbook ($30 value)
Want to get notified when the sign-up for the complete package opens again?
Enrollment will open again when the current class is over. Join the waitlist to be notified when sign up is open again.
What are these packages you mention? Which package should I choose?
There are two different packages that you can choose from, the basic and complete package. You’ll get personal feedback in the complete package.
- The basic package will have all the video and text lessons you can go through at your own pace, plus the worksheets or optionally the full 45-page workbook. I’m not offering feedback for that package, so if you prefer learning alone, this is for you.
- The complete package will have all the video and text, several assignments you can have reviewed plus the full 45-page workbook included in the price. This package is what you should get if you want to get everything out of this course and get every possible feedback that you can get.
What about the feedback? Will this be private or public?
I will offer 6 weeks of feedback for each student in the complete package. Feedback will be private and one on one. You can also share your work with the group if you like. The basic package doesn’t offer any feedback.
What materials do I have to get before I start the course?
If you choose the complete package, I recommend that you get your supplies prior to the sign-up, because once the course begins you will have 6 weeks to complete the assignments. This does not apply to the basic package, you’ll have all the time you want for completing that without any deadlines.
You will need the following basic supplies for the course:
- a pen holder, straight or oblique (I use an oblique holder for my demonstrations, but it’s not a requirement)
- nibs: 2x Nikko G, and 2x another nib (Zebra G, Brause Steno, Hunt Imperial)
- a bottle of India or Sumi ink (Kuretake Sumi Ink is great)
- a pad of layout paper (this is very smooth and doesn’t make ink bleed)
- a water jar, soft cloth, removable tape, pencil, eraser
Please note that you will get the best results when you actually use the supplies I recommend. Usually the right paper is crucial to getting the desired results (and experiencing less frustration!) in the beginning. You can refer to this supply list or read more on the topic of materials here.
How long will I have access to the course materials?
I offer access to the video and text materials for as long as I sell the course, but at least for one year after your purchase.
Do you have a refund policy?
Yes. If you feel like the course hasn’t given you the value you were looking for, please contact me and I will see if I can solve your problem – my aim is to have satisfied students. Of course you can also get a refund if you request it – up to 30 days from purchase.